Blended Families

I know that I did not mention this in my opening but I wish to share with you that my daughter and I are in a blended family situation. This will way in and become important and pertinent with future topics and references that I may make in future blog postings.
I remarried a man from MN and have had no children with him but my ex husband remarried a local woman and has two children with her. My daughter goes back and forth every two weeks and spends weekends with her father but it changes in the summer where she is required to spend 5 weeks with him.
Ex- spouses have a way of making life miserable even if the divorce is pleasant. Your ex might disappoint them, make impossible promises to them, teach them bad habits and then you are left dealing with the fallout. There are no easy answers just know this can happen and be honest with your kids about it. Try not to get emotionally wrapped up in it so that it poisons your relationship with your ex or your kids and try to help them see what they are doing but don't get them so involved that they feel as though they need to pick sides. Focus on your own relationships, not your past. Do your best to prepare your kids and your step kids for the future and life in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment